· 500g asparagus, trimmed
· 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
· Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
· 500g whole wheat penne pasta
· 500g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
· 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
· 1/2 cup basil pesto, homemade or store-bought
· 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with non-stick spray.
2. Place asparagus in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine. Place into oven and roast for 8-12 minutes or until tender but crisp. Let cool before cutting into 1-inch pieces.
3. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
4. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste. Add to skillet and cook until golden, about 3-4 minutes; set aside.
5. In a large bowl, combine asparagus, pasta, chicken, tomatoes and pesto.
6. Serve up, garnished with parsley, if desired.