Updated: Apr 1, 2019
4 medium/large sweet potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
500g ground turkey OR beef mince
2 cups frozen veggies or veggies of choice
250g sliced mushrooms
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup chicken stock
Freshly cracked black pepper
1. Place sweet potatoes in a large pot. Cover with cold water. Add one teaspoon of salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until very tender, about 20 to 30 minutes (test with a knife to make sure they are cooked through. The knife should come in very easily).
2. Preheat oven to 200C.
3. While the sweet potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling. Add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, stir and cook until fragrant and onions start to soften, about 3 minutes. Add mince and break down in small bites using a wooden spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until turkey bites are browned on the outside, but not fully cooked inside.
4. Stir in frozen veggies and mushroom. Add Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and chicken stock. Stir well to combine and cook until turkey is cooked through about 5 to 7 minutes. Taste and adjust salt and pepper if needed. Spoon the filling evenly into a large baking dish, including the juice. Set aside while you finish the sweet potato mash.
5. Drain water from the pot, return the sweet potatoes to the pot and mash them using a potato masher. Add two tablespoons of olive oil and stir with a wooden spoon. Season with salt to taste.
6. Spread the mashed sweet potatoes evenly on top of the filling. Use a fork to draw furrows (to create peaks that will get browned!). Sprinkle with sweet paprika.
7. Bake for 30 minutes, until bubbling and browned. If necessary, broil for least 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.